Home | Angelillo Family History - Traveler's Companion

Traveler's Companion for Map of Central Southern Italy that shows the Places named in the Family History of Raffaele ANGELILLO (1888-1965) of Sant'Angelo d'Alife

This companion is intended to be compared with the big map of central southern Italy. Among the places shown on that map are Sant'Angelo d'Alife, Raviscanina, Alife, Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Naples, and San Martino in Pensilis.

The altitudes given on this page are the height above sea level of the Casa comunale of the village or town.

Related: a brief history of Sant'Angelo d'Alife and the historical names of Sant'Angelo d'Alife.

Travel Companion for Documents for Angelillo Family History

Sant'Angelo on the map of Italy, 3 KB

To find Sant'Angelo d'Alife, Province of Caserta, Region of Campania, on the big map of central southern Italy, begin in the lower left corner at Naples and go north through the cities of Santa Maria Capua Vetere and Caserta.

Note: Although the villages of Sant'Angelo d'Alife and Vinchiaturo (home of the author of Journal of My Italian National Service, 1881-1883) appear close on the map, between their respective Provinces of Caserta (Campania) and Campobasso (Molise) lie the Matese Mountains. These mountains rise to over a mile above sea level and were called by the military historian G.W.L. Nicholson "the great Matese barrier" and "the great wall of the Matese" (The Canadians in Italy, 1943-1945, Ottawa: 1957, pages 478 and 243). The difficulty of travel across the peninsula of southern Italy is often suggested as a reason for its historical backwardness.

Related: Map showing the Principal Mountain Ranges of Italy. The ranges are not labeled on this map, but if we draw a line north-northeastward from Naples, the Matese are the first range we come to; the Matese rise just beyond Sant'Angelo d'Alife.

*

For San Martino in Pensilis, Province of Campobasso, Region of Molise, begin in the upper right corner of the big map at Termoli and go a little way south from there. San Martino was the birthplace of Leone RINALDO (1787-1827), who was registered there by his father under the name Leone Maria di CESARE; the explanation for this event has not been translated into English (Leone's father was imputed in a murder in Sant'Angelo). The record of Leone's birth refers only to a Comune di S. Martino in Provincia di Puglia, but this place is identifiable as San Martino in Pensilis.

In 1809 the Università of San Martino in Pensilis was in the Distretto of Larino, Province of Capitanata, Region of Puglia. By 1813, however, San Martino had been transferred to the Province of Molise, Region of Abruzzo e Molise. (Source: Italian Civil Register of S. Martino)

San Martino is in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Larino; its principal church is San Pietro Apostolo (Saint's Day 29 June), with, circa 1951, a parish population of 6,525. (Source: Annuario delle diocesi d'Italia. Marietti Editori Ltd. 1951)

*

Going Southwest from San Martino toward Sant'Angelo d'Alife, about two miles directly south of the City of Campobasso, the village of Ferrazzano rises to a height of 2,860 feet above sea level. This may (or may not) have been an earlier home of the ancestors of Francesco FERRAZZANO and have given that family its name.

G.W.L. Nicholson wrote: The provincial capital city of Campobasso "consisted of an old town clustering about the rock on which the citadel stood, and a modern section whose wide streets were flanked by ... administrative buildings.... About two miles to the south the village of Ferrazzano crowned a spike of rock 600 feet above the plain. Ferrazzano had the unreal appearance of a fairy castle ... a formidable defensive position dominating the approaches to the town beyond." (The Canadians in Italy, page 248)

*

At the top left corner of the map (near the city of Sulmona) are found the Maiella (Majella) Mountains. This may (or may not) have been an earlier home of the ancestors of Domenico MAJELLO and have given that family its name.


Various Geography Notes Related to this Family History

Campania Region

Ancient Campania was the area between the Volturno River and the Sorrento peninsula (the southern promontory of the Bay of Naples), named after the Campani tribe that once lived there. The region is mountainous and hilly, with fertile coastal lowlands being the major farming areas, especially those of the Terra di Lavoro and the plains around Vesuvius. Land use is intercultural: plots of cereals on the ground, fruit on the trees along the edges of the plots, and grape-vines hanging between the trees. [However, Sant'Angelo d'Alife belongs to the part of the present Region of Campania that lies to the north of the Volturno River, outside Ancient Campania.]

The Region consists of the Provinces of Avellino (AV), Benevento (BN), Caserta (CE), Napoli (NA), and Salerno (SA). These roughly correspond to the 19th Century Provinces of Terra di Lavoro (Caserta), Napoli (Naples), Principato Ulteriore or Ultra (Benevento and Avellino), and Principato Citeriore or Citra (Salerno); the last two named might be translated as "Far Princedom" and "Near Princedom", far and near, that is, to the capital city of the Kingdom of Naples.

Related Pages: Maps showing the province boundaries of the Kingdom of Naples, or, central southern Italy, at the time of Napoleon and in the 20th Century, with an account of the 20th Century more-or-less equivalents to the 19th Century provinces. Map showing the boundaries of the 20 Regions of the Republic of Italy as they have been since 1963.

Volturno River

River that rises in the Apennines 11 miles north of Venafro (a village about 10 miles east of the Abbey of Montecassino), flows southeast and west-southwest, through Campania, past Capua, to the Tyrrhenian Sea 22 miles north-northwest of Naples.

Naples (Napoli)

The City of Naples was founded about 600 B.C. by Greeks from nearby Cumae (It. Cuma) and the island of Ischia (ancient Pithecusa); it was named Neapolis ("new city") to distinguish it from the older, nearby, city of Parthenope. After Naples fell to Rome in 290 B.C., Greek remained the first language of the city, although the original Greeks had long ago intermarried with the other peoples of Italy. In the centuries that followed the fall of the Roman Empire, invaders and marauders forced many of the descendants of former Greeks cities to move to higher areas inland.

Caserta Province

On the Gulf of Gaeta, the Province of Caserta is a coastal plain bordered by the Apennines and watered by the Volturno River. Agriculture: fruit, vegetables, grapes, olives, cereals, hemp, tobacco. Livestock raising. Hydroelectric plants: Piedimonte d'Alife and Prata Sannita. Manufacturing: Santa Maria Capua Vetere.

Caserta Province was abolished in 1927, but reconstituted in 1945 from the provinces of Naples (mostly), Benevento and Campobasso. Its province name abbreviation is CE.

In 1991 there were 104 comuni in Province of Caserta; total population: 815,815.

In 1961 there were 100 comuni and 14 dioceses in the Province of Caserta. Population: 649,327 (1961 census); 506,860 (1936 census).

Piedimonte d'Alife (Matese)

At the foot of the Apennines, south of the Lago di Matese, rail terminus, with paper and cotton mills, a macaroni factory, and a hydroelectric plant. Since 1970, named Piedimonte Matese. Height above sea level: 656 feet. Population (1936 census): 10,101. Province: Caserta. Diocese: Alife.

Lago di Matese

Narrow lake, 3 miles long, in the Apennines, 24 miles north of Caserta, providing water to the hydroelectric plant at Piedimonte d'Alife (Matese).

Santa Maria Capua Vetere (CE)

On the site of ancient Capua, 3 miles southeast of modern Capua, a rail junction, with large agricultural trade. Population (1936 census): 30,024. Diocese: Capua.

Larino

Cathedral (finished 1319). Macaroni, flour, oliveoil, wine. Ruins (amphitheater) of ancient Larinum arenearby. Train station. Height above sea level: 1,017 feet. Population (1936 census): 4,872. Province: Campobasso (Molise). Diocese: Larino.

Ascoli Piceno (AP)

Capital of the Province of Ascoli Piceno in the Region of the Marches (Le Marche); ancient Asculum Picenum. Located on the Tronto River, 43 miles northwest of Pescara (Province of Chieti, Abruzzo). Municipal population (1936 census): 20,665. Rail terminus. Manufacturing: macaroni, canned tomatoes, woolen textiles, majolica, shoes, paper, carbide electrodes. Has cathedral, 12th Century octagonal baptistery, medieval buildings, and Roman remains. Bishopric.

Population of the Province of Ascoli Piceno (1936 census): 303,869.

Ascoli Piceno was the birthplace of Angelo MORGANTI (1889-1962), the husband of Anna ANGELILLO.

Sources for these Various Geography Notes:

Columbia Lippincott Gazetteer of the World, Columbia University Press, 1952, 1962 (Italian National Census of 1936).
The New Encyclopaedia Britannica, 15th ed., Chicago: 1991.
Nuovo dizionario dei comuni e frazione, 26a edizione, Roma: 1966.


The URL of this Web page: https://www.roangelo.net/angelo/angscmap.html
Last revised: 22 February 2007 : 2007-02-22 by Robert [Wesley] Angelo.

Back to top of page

Home | Site Map | Site Search | Angelillo Family History - Table of Contents