Journalism of Orlando Abiuso:
Cronache da Gambatesa
Newspaper Articles in Italian
• Fra mille ristrettezze a Gambatesa la vita del locale asilo infantile, a description of the urgent needs of Gambatesa's Our Lady of Victory Kindergarten, 2 December 1961.
• È morto a Gambatesa il dr. Vincenzo D'Alessandro, death notice for the man who was Gambatesa's doctor beginning in 1937, 3 April 1966.
• Cordoglio per la morte del parroco di Gambatesa, death notice for Monsignor Donato Venditti of Gambatesa, 6 May 1966.
• Amori e delusioni nei versi delle «Majtunate», traditional song festival on New Year's Eve, 5 January 1965.
• Il senatore Guglielmo Iosa di Gambatesa, death notice, 22 September 1961.
• Trovare un'occupazione per un dignitoso domani è il primo obiettivo della gioventù di Gambatesa ("Finding employment for a tomorrow with human dignity is the primary objective of the youth of Gambatesa"), 30 September 1963.
• Se muiono le fondovalli « sgarrupate » (The winter weather of the year 2000 brought Molise back to the 1960s; « sgarrupato » means "falling in pieces", "falling apart"), 4 February 2000.
• Guerra e dintorni: tributo di sangue per liberare Gambatesa (The cost in blood of ending the occupation of Gambatesa in 1943), 20 April 2003.
• Addio Valentina ... sarai per sempre nei nostri cuori (In memory of the child Valentina Majorano, who lived for a few years in Gambatesa, but died in Campobasso, the 14th victim of Angelo Izzo; with a fable by Gianni Rodari), 13 May 2005.
• Umile, dolce terra molisana! (The poem Il mio paese by Giuseppe Abiuso, about the landscape of his native Molise), 7 December 2006.
Historical Photographs of Gambatesa
• Postcard: Gambatesa at the Beginning of the 20th Century (Gambatesa ad inizio secolo XX), showing Largo della Fontana e piazza Municipio ("The Open Space Around the Fountain, and Municipal Place").
• La Villa Comunale sotto la Neve ("The snow-covered Municipal Park"), two views of Largo Fontana from 1960.
• Postcard: Gambatesa - Viale Nazionale ("Avenue of the Nation"). Via Nazionale Appulo-Sannitica is the old road that runs through Gambatesa between the provincial capital cities of Foggia and Campobasso.
• The faithful hasten to "the chapel without a name" (The Chapel of Our Lady of Victory), circa 1960.
• Il Gruppo folkloristico di Gambatesa negli anni sessanta ("The Folklore Group of Gambatesa in the 1960s").
• Woman dressed in the traditional clothing of a pacchiana, in Gambatesa's Municipal Park in the 1960s.
• Ancestors of Orlando Abiuso in Gambatesa, including his paternal grandparents and Giuseppantonio Valente.
• Michele Abiuso of Gambatesa, from about 1929 when he was a student at the school for Carabiniere in Rome.
- Postcard of the annual celebration of the wheat harvest, La Madonna delle Traglie, showing the scene in Gambatesa's Municipal Park (La Villa) during the celebration. From an exhibition of historical postcard photographs of Gambatesa.
- Postcard of the Procession of the Wheat Sleighs during Gambatesa's Traglie, titled Caratteristico ricordo della Festa delle Traglie ("Typical souvenir photograph of the celebration"). From an exhibition of historical postcard photographs of Gambatesa.
Largo del Castello
- Postcard of the Church of San Bartolomeo Apostolo: Gambatesa - Campanile della Chiesa Madre ("Gambatesa - Bell Tower of the Mother Church"), postmarked from Gambatesa on 3 September 1929.
- Postcard of the Bell Tower of San Bartolomeo Apostolo (the Church of Saint Bartholomew the Apostle) from 1930.
Copyright © 2000 by Orlando Abiuso
The URL of this Web page: https://www.roangelo.net/molise/orabiuso.html
Last revised: 23 March 2007 : 2007-03-23